Nu Skin Updates Second Quarter Results and Raises 2013 Guidance
July 10, 2013
Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc. (NYSE: NUS) today announced a significant increase to estimated revenue and earnings per share for the second quarter of 2013. Revenue is now estimated to be about $680 million, with estimated earnings per share of approximately $1.20. Foreign currency fluctuations negatively impacted second-quarter revenue by approximately 3 percent. Prior revenue guidance was $570 to $580 million, with earnings per share guidance of $0.91 to $0.95.
Additionally, the company announced that it is increasing its full-year 2013 revenue guidance by $320 million to $2.83 to $2.86 billion, including a negative 5 percent impact from foreign currency fluctuations. The company now expects 2013 earnings to be $4.85 to $5.00 per share.
Please Note: This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended that represent the company's current expectations and beliefs. All statements other than statements of historical fact are “forward-looking statements” for purposes of federal and state securities laws and include, but are not limited to, statements of management's expectations regarding the company's performance, initiatives, strategies and new product introductions; statements of estimates or projections regarding revenue, earnings per share, foreign currency impact and other financial items; statements of belief; and statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. In some cases, you can identify these statements by forward-looking words such as "believe," "expect," “project,” "anticipate," "estimate," "intend," "plan," "targets," "likely," "will," "would," "could," "may," "might," the negative of these words and other similar words.
The forward-looking statements and related assumptions involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results and outcomes to differ materially from any forward-looking statements or views expressed herein. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, the following:
· estimates and guidance concerning anticipated revenue, earnings per share and the impact of foreign currency are preliminary estimates, and actual results may differ from the estimates and guidance provided based on a number of factors, including higher than anticipated expenses, changes in reserves and other financial statement or audit adjustments;
· any failure of current or planned initiatives or products to generate interest among distributors and customers and generate sponsoring and selling activities on a sustained basis;
· risks related to accurately predicting, delivering or maintaining sufficient quantities of products to support our planned initiatives or launch strategies, including possible ingredient supply limitations;
· challenging economic conditions globally;
· risk of foreign currency fluctuations and the currency translation impact on the company's business associated with these fluctuations;
· risks associated with general inquiries and complaints to consumer protection agencies in Japan regarding the activities of some distributors;
· regulatory risks associated with the company's products, which could require the company to modify its claims or inhibit the company's ability to import or continue selling a product in a market if it is determined to be a medical device or if it is unable to register the product in a timely manner under applicable regulatory requirements;
· continued regulatory scrutiny and investigations in Mainland China, which have from time to time in the past, and could in the future, negatively impact the company's business, including the interruption of sales activities in stores, loss of licenses, and the imposition of fines;
· adverse publicity related to the company's business, products, industry or any legal actions or complaints by distributors or others;
· any prospective or retrospective increases in duties on the company's products imported into the company's markets outside of the United States and any adverse results of tax audits or unfavorable changes to tax laws in the company's various markets; and
· continued competitive pressures in the company's markets.
The company's financial performance and the forward-looking statements contained herein are further qualified by a detailed discussion of associated risks set forth in the documents filed by the company with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The forward-looking statements set forth the company's beliefs as of the date that such information was first provided and the company assumes no duty to update the forward-looking statements contained in this release to reflect any change except as required by law.