Stand Your Way To Health
April 07, 2014
Most people attribute weight gain to overeating and unhealthy eating. However, there are many factors other than our diets that contribute to weight gain. An article in NewBeauty Magazine states that sitting at a desk all day is one of several lifestyle factors that affect our body. Here are 4 reasons why sitting for long periods of time is unhealthy for you:
1. Being sedentary and sitting all day leads to weight gain, especially in the mid-section. Sitting for long periods of time causes cortisol levels to rise, which is linked to fat storage in the mid-section.
2. Sitting at a desk for long periods of time decreases the levels of lipoprotein lipase, which is a fat burning enzyme necessary for weight loss.
3. A sedentary lifestyle can cause your blood sugar level to rise, which leads to sugar and food cravings1.
4. Sitting burns fewer calories than standing or walking.
How can you stand more in your day? Here are a few tips:
1. Opt for a standing desk.
2. Get up and pace while talking on the phone.
3. Hold a walking meeting.
4. Take a stretch break at the top of every hour.
Finally, one more reason to sit less – according to the BBC, reducing sitting time by three hours a day can add two years to your life expectancy2. So go ahead – sit less and enjoy life more.