Nu Skin Ingredient Philosophy
Nu Skin Ingredient Philosophy
Founded on the guiding principle, "All of the good, none of the bad," Nu Skin has distinguished itself from other companies by finding the best ingredients possible and avoiding harmful fillers. Since 1984, Nu Skin has produced the highest quality personal care products with the winning combination of natural ingredients and innovative technology.
Combining Science and Nature
Nature provides healthy and beneficial ingredients for Nu Skin formulas, and science opens the door of innovation in active ingredient delivery and profound product efficacy. With changing technologies and current trends, the focus of "All of the good, none of the bad" has shifted to emphasizing the beneficial ingredients within our formulations. Nu Skin utilizes cutting edge technologies and ingredients at efficacious levels. Our philosophy is backed by Nu Skin's expert Advisory Board composed of dermatologists.
Nu Skin's Use of Botanicals
Over 100 different botanicals that perform a variety of functions—including antioxidants, cleansing agents, emollients, humectants, skin conditioning agents, skin protectors, and skin soothing agents—are used in Nu Skin® products.
The Nu Skin® Epoch® line offers a combination of proven ethnobotanical ingredients from indigenous cultures and modern cosmetic science to create products using the wisdom of ages. Each product is formulated with botanical ingredients derived from renewable resources using the most innovative skin care technology.
Botanical ingredients found in Epoch® products
- Jewelweed, used by Native Americans for its skin-calming benefits, is often found growing beside problem plants like poison ivy and poison oak.
- Hibiscus flower extract is used by Southeast Asian and Central American traditional cultures to cleanse and moisturize skin and hair.
- Ava Puhi Moni® extract is squeezed from the flower bulb by Polynesians to condition, smooth, and enhance hair.
- Allspice berry has been used for centuries by the indigenous tribes of Central America to relieve persistent dry, cracking, red skin on heels, toes, and sides of feet.
Nutricentials™ are key nutrient building blocks taken from foods and plants and formulated for topical application in skin care products. These ingredients are in their purest and most concentrated forms to enhance and reveal the healthy appearance of skin.
- Soy, rich in isoflavones and protein, helps protect and moisturize the skin.
- Colorless carotenoids are activated by UV light and provide powerful antioxidant protection against the environment.
- Strawberry extract (polyphenols) diminishes the appearance of pores and balances pH levels in the skin.
- Virgin olive oil (polyphenol hydroxytyrosol) is a well-known antioxidant used for protecting organs.
- Brown seaweed, rich in minerals and antioxidants, helps absorb and maintain moisture.
Many other natural ingredients are used to create Nu Skin's patented ingredients:
- Tegreen 97®, derived from green tea, provides powerful antioxidants to help protect the body against free radicals and is used in both Pharmanex® and Nu Skin® products.
- IBR-Dormin™ is a natural compound derived from narcissus bulbs that has been scientifically shown to protect skin and enhance cellular durability, improving the skin's natural defense against environmental aggressors. This ingredient is used in Perennial® Intense Body Moisturizer.
- Other Nu Skin® products make use of grapefruit extract, kelp, ginkgo biloba, and many other botanical ingredients.
Some companies market and position their products as "all natural." This positioning can be misleading to consumers for several reasons. First, the FDA has not clearly outlined the regulations to claim 100 percent natural, leaving the door open for many companies to misuse the power of "all natural" marketing, when their products contain synthetics. Second, it misinforms consumers by conveying the bias that any natural ingredient is good and all synthetic ingredients are bad—even though many synthetic ingredients can be more effective and safer than comparable botanicals. Synthetic simply means that the ingredients are not derived directly from a plant but created in a laboratory and manufactured as a raw material. Whether natural or synthetic, ingredients in Nu Skin® products are selected and then tested to ensure the best benefits, efficacy, and safety.
Using science for all of the good
Science is a key element in Nu Skin's commitment to formulating products with "all of the good, none of the bad." Through careful research and testing, Nu Skin scientists combine natural and synthetic ingredients for our skin care products. While nature provides many healthful ingredients, science provides complementary ingredients such as pro-collagen peptides, sodium PCA (humectant), tocopherol (vitamin E), alphahydroxy and polyhydroxy acids, and Parsol® 1789 (sunscreen for UV rays). Without these ingredients, Nu Skin® products could not provide their proven, full range of cosmetic benefits and protection. Other ingredients, like preservatives, provide important safety and antimicrobial properties to maintain product quality, safety, and efficacy.
Each product formulation focuses on the inclusion of key ingredients and is guided by Nu Skin's founding vision and finalized with the latest innovations in cosmetic chemistry, dermatology, nutrition, and ethnobotany.