Ingredient Philosophy | Nu Skin
Nu Skin Ingredient Philosophy
Founded on the guiding principle, "All of the good," Nu Skin has distinguished itself from other companies by focusing on finding the best ingredients possible for its products and avoiding harmful fillers. Since 1984, Nu Skin has produced the highest quality personal care products using a winning combination of natural ingredients and innovative technology.
Combining science and nature: Nature provides healthy and beneficial ingredients for Nu Skin formulas, while science opens the door of innovation in active ingredient delivery and profound product effectiveness. With changing technologies and trends, the focus of "All of the good" has shifted to emphasising the beneficial ingredients within our formulations. Nu Skin uses cutting edge technologies and ingredients at effective levels. Our philosophy is backed by Nu Skin's expert Anti-Ageing Scientific Advisory Board comprised of dermatologists and leading scientists in many areas of expertise and our research partnerships.
Nu Skin's use of botanicals: Over 100 different botanicals that perform a variety of functions—including antioxidants, cleansing agents, emollients, humectants, skin conditioning agents, skin protectors, and skin soothing agents—are used in Nu Skin® products.
The Nu Skin® Epoch® line offers a combination of proven ethnobotanical ingredients from indigenous cultures and modern cosmetic science to create products using the wisdom of ages.
Each product is formulated with botanical ingredients derived from renewable resources using the most innovative skin care technology.
Botanical ingredients found in Epoch® products:
· Jewelweed, used by Native Americans for its skin-calming benefits, is often found growing beside problem plants like poison ivy and poison oak.
· Hibiscus flower extract is used by Southeast Asian and Central American traditional cultures to cleanse and moisturise skin and hair.
· Ava Puhi Moni® extract is squeezed from the nectar of the ava puhi flower bulb by Polynesians to condition, smooth, and enhance hair.
· Allspice berry has been used for centuries by the indigenous tribes of Central America to relieve persistent dry, cracking, red skin on heels, toes, and sides of feet.
Nutricentials™ are key nutrient building blocks derived from foods and plants and are formulated for topical application in skin care products. These ingredients are in their purest and most concentrated forms to enhance the healthy appearance of skin.
· Soy, rich in isoflavones and protein, helps protect and moisturise the skin.
· Colorless carotenoids are activated by UV light and provide powerful antioxidant protection against the environment.
· Strawberry extract (polyphenols) diminishes the appearance of pores and balances pH levels in the skin.
· Extra virgin olive oil (polyphenol hydroxytyrosol) is a well-known antioxidant used for protecting organs.
· Brown seaweed, rich in minerals and antioxidants, helps absorb and maintain moisture.
Many other natural ingredients are used to create Nu Skin's patented formulas:
· Tegreen 97®, derived from green tea, provides powerful antioxidants to help protect the body against free radicals and is used in both Pharmanex® and Nu Skin® products.
· IBR-Dormin™ is a natural compound derived from narcissus bulbs that has been scientifically shown to protect skin and enhance cellular durability, improving the skin's natural defense against environmental aggressors. This ingredient is used in Perennial® Intense Body Moisturizer.
Other Nu Skin® products make use of grapefruit extract, kelp, ginkgo biloba, pea extract, bamboo extract, and many other botanical ingredients.
"All natural": Some companies market and position their products as "all natural." This term can be misleading to consumers. It conveys the bias that any natural ingredient is good and all synthetic ingredients are bad—even though many synthetic ingredients can be more effective and safer than comparable botanicals. "Synthetic" simply means that the ingredients are not derived directly from a plant, but are created in a laboratory and manufactured as a raw material. Whether natural or synthetic, ingredients in Nu Skin® products are carefully selected and then tested to ensure the best benefits, efficacy, and safety.
Using science for all of the good: Science is an essential element in Nu Skin's commitment to creating products with "all of the good." Through careful research and testing, Nu Skin scientists combine the best natural and synthetic ingredients for our skin care products. While nature provides many healthful ingredients, science provides complementary ingredients such as pro-collagen peptides, sodium PCA (humectant), tocopherol (vitamin E), alphahydroxy and polyhydroxy acids, and Parsol® 1789 (sunscreen for UV rays). Without these ingredients, Nu Skin® products could not provide their proven, full range of cosmetic benefits and protection. Other ingredients, like preservatives, provide important antimicrobial properties to maintain product quality, safety, and efficacy.
Conclusion: Each product formulation focuses on the inclusion of key ingredients and is guided by Nu Skin's founding vision and finalised with the latest innovations in cosmetic chemistry, dermatology, nutrition, and ethnobotany.