A Look Back on 15 Years of Improving Lives
A Look Back on 15 Years of Improving Lives
March 05, 2012
The Nu Skin Force for Good Foundation concluded its 15th anniversary in 2011, celebrating its rich mission to improve the lives of children by offering hope for a life free from disease, illiteracy, and poverty. Blake Roney, Nu Skin’s chairman of the board stated “Every day, one-hundred thousand children are smiling because of the efforts made and we are deeply grateful that together we are able to be a true force for good throughout the world.” Let’s take a look at some of the great achievements by Nu Skin’s Force for Good Foundation.
2011 Foundation Highlights
In 2011 alone:
- The foundation raised $1.4 million to support areas affected by the devastating earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan in March. These funds provided immediate relief to help those in the prefectures. The funds also helped provide for more than 4,000 education kits to elementary school children in affected areas, and long-term support is now being provided through educational scholarships to children who lost one or both parents during the disaster.
- More than 750 life-saving heart surgeries were funded in China in 2011 and more than 390 in Southeast Asia – that’s at least three children’s lives saved every day in 2011.
- The School of Agriculture for Family Independence (SAFI) in Malawi, Africa enrolled 29 new families in 2011. These husbands and wives are now learning agricultural skills that they will use back on their own farms to feed and provide for their families, creating a legacy of self-reliance for generations. In 2011 SAFI had 46 graduates. Through SAFI efforts, its graduates have increased crop yield by 700%.
- During the Foundation’s 15th Anniversary, the bi-annual Nu Skin Force for Good Foundation Gala and Auction was held. More than 750 Nu Skin distributors attended the sold-out event and raised more than $700,000 for children’s projects.
15 Years of Being a Force for Good
In the past 15 years, the Nu Skin Force for Good Foundation has:
- Provided more than 4,000 lifesaving heart surgeries in China and Southeast Asia.
- Built and stocked 9 libraries for rural elementary schools in South Korea.
- Given more than 90 Malawians agricultural training.
- Participated in relief efforts in Haiti, Indonesia, Thailand, Japan and other disaster affected areas.
- Forged an ongoing partnership with Seacology to improve the education and environment of young islanders.
- Provided annual grants to the Epidermolysis Bullosa Media Research Foundation (EBMRF) to support research to find a cure for epidermolysis bullosa (EB).
In speaking about Nourish the Children, Steve Lund, founder and vice chairman for Nu Skin Enterprises said “We are fortunate to be a part of something so much bigger than ourselves. Malnutrition is rampant in many parts of the world and we are actively fighting it. We are providing hope and eliminating hunger with every bag of VitaMeal we distribute. There is so much more to be done, but with the help of the Nu Skin family of distributors, we are feeding hundreds of thousands of children each day.”
Through initiatives such as these, the Foundation helps create more than 100,000 smiles for children each day.
“Nu Skin's mission is to be a force for good throughout the world by improving lives, and our distributors exemplify that culture,” said Truman Hunt, Nu Skin president and chief executive officer. “Through projects supported by the Nu Skin Force for Good Foundation, we are creating smiles for children around the world, and providing a future of hope for thousands each day.”
About The Nu Skin Force for Good Foundation
The Nu Skin Force for Good Foundation was chartered in 1996 and has granted more than $25 million to offer hope for a life free from disease, illiteracy and poverty to children in more than 50 countries. The Foundation is funded by Nu Skin distributor and employee donations, and from 25 cents from the sale of each Nu Skin Epoch product. Nu Skin Enterprises covers all administrative and overhead costs, allowing for 100 percent of donations to be used for humanitarian and charitable causes. To get involved with the Foundation, contact your local Nu Skin representative or click here.